Friday, July 2, 2010

6.26.10, Saturday

The theme continues... this time from Northern Minnesota.
I was up at my friends' cabin for the weekend of my 6/26 and 6/27 paintings. I used the water soluble oils on this painting, however I did something I have never done before. I used oils on an unprimed surface. Meaning, I painted directly on the paper. Oils will eventually eat through paper, so the appropriate thing to do is to prep the surface with a layer of gesso. However, I hadn't thought of that when I was packing for the weekend. In fact, I didn't think of that until I put down the first strokes of paint. By that point, I already had my pallet set up, so the paint would have been wasted. So I decided to just go for it. Some of those lovely qualities of oil paint that I like so much do not apply when working on unprimed paper. The paper sucks up a lot of paint, so you can't move it around and mix it in the same way. This painting also suffered a bit in transit back home—I accidentally stepped on it. Can you see the texture of my foot prints in the left two trees?
A quick google search this morning told me that my painting should last decades or maybe even longer before the oils eat through the paper.

No comments:

Post a Comment