Monday, March 10, 2014

Week 37 – Study for Red Fern & Snails

This piece is a study for a larger painting and has more symbolism than most of my work. A recent post on the blog Leaf & Twig was inspiration for the Red Fern part of this composition. That post nods it's head at the book, Where the Red Fern Grows. Here is an explanation of the red fern symbolism in the book that I found online:
"According to legend, an angel has to plant the seed of the red fern, and so wherever there is a red fern, it marks something very admirable and special."
In my personal lexicon, snails are a symbol for babies (thanks goes to my older sister for that association).
So there you go. I think babies are very special. An alternate title for this could be "New Life." Which just happens to tie into the fact that there is finally some snow melting happening outside, and I have hope that spring is coming to Minnesota.
5" x 7" oil on paper. Prints available.

No comments:

Post a Comment